1."A man can be happy with any woman as long as _____." What line completes this quote from the one novel Oscar Wilde wrote?
he does not marry her
he does not love her
she knows less than he
she never wears pants
2. "The only way to get rid of a temptation is ______." Complete this quote from "Picture of Dorian Grey."
to lock oneself away
to yield to it
to get married
to eat chocolate
3. Which of the following quotes was NOT one of Oscar Wilde's witticisms?
"The devil damn thee black, thou cream-faced loon!"
"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Marriage is the same."
"I have nothing to declare but my genius."
4. "But what is the difference between literature and journalism? _____." What is Wilde's answer to this question?
There is no difference.
Journalism is unreadable and literature is unread. That is all.
Journalism is the refuge of unimaginative minds.
The one is for those with imagination, the other is for the masses.
5. "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that _____." Pick the answer that completes the quote.
youth is wasted on the young
all in all it's just another brick in the wall
nothing that is worth knowing can be taught
those who can't do, teach
6. "To love oneself is _____. " Complete the quote from the play "An Ideal Husband".
to love all of mankind
the noblest of callings
the beginning of a lifelong romance
easy for the rich, hard for the poor, and impossible for the journalist
7. "Men marry because they are ____; women because they are ____. Both are ____." Which trio of words correctly completes the quote?
horny, lonely, frustrated
vain, shrewd, rewarded accordingly
impulsive, cautious, sorry
tired, curious, disappointed
8. "I think that God in creating Man _____." Complete the quote with one of the following answers.
belied his omniscience
somewhat overestimated his ability
laid the groundwork for his own undoing
proved his appreciation of the absurd
9. Pick the answer which defines "The truth _____.", according to Algernon in "The Importance of Being Ernest."
is approached only by the artist
will set you free
is rarely pure and never simple
is muddled and complicated
10. "My _____ and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other has to go." What was Wilde, quipster to the end, commenting on in one of his last quotes?