John Donne was born into a family that was _____, but he became a(n) _____ priest.
Anglican, Roman Catholic
Roman Catholic, Anglican
2. John Donne was on the path to success. He was private secretary to a high court official, Sir Thomas Egerton. How did he ruin his career?
He wrote a private, critical poem about Queen Elizabeth
He eloped with Egerton's niece
It was discovered that he was a Catholic
He basically made a pass at Egerton's wife
3. Henry Vaughan experienced a spiritual awakening inspired by the poems of what metaphysical poet?
4. Which of the following was NOT a metaphysical poet?
5. The metaphysical poets employed many extended comparisons, also known as:
6. He wrote of both "A Divine Mistress" and "A Cruel Mistress".
7. What Donne poem contains these lines: "If ever any beauty I did see, / Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee."
The Sun Rising
8. In "The Canonization", Donne says, "The ____ riddle hath more wit / By us: we two being one, are it. / So, to one neutral thing both sexes fit. / We die and rise the same, and prove / Mysterious by this love." What's missing from the blank?
9. In what poem does John Donne try to convince a woman to have sex with him?
All of these
To His Mistress Going to Bed
10. What kind of poetry did Donne NOT write?
11. "_____, be not proud, though some have called thee / Mighty and dreadful." Fill in the missing word from this Donne sonnet.
12. He wrote "To His Coy Mistress."
13. What Donne poem is a play on Marlowe's "Passionate Shepherd to His Love"?
14. George Herbert wrote a poem in which he insisted that even simple, uncomplicated verse can be beautiful if it plainly states the truth. In it, he says, "Nor let them punish me with losse of ryme, / Who plainly say, My God, My King." What is the name of this poem?
15. This poem by John Donne was probably about his wife's death.
A Valediction: Forbiding Mourning
A Nocturnal Upon Saint Lucy's Day
16. John Donne dedicated his holy sonnets to whose mother?
17. Which metaphysical poet helped to rebuild his parish's church out of his own pocket?
18. George Herbert ends his poem "The Collar" with these lines: "Methought I heard one calling, Childe: / And I reply'd, _____"
19. In Herbert's "The Pulley", what alone among the blessings does God withhold from man?
20. What metaphysical poet wrote a poem encouraging Christians to honor Christmas piously, and not by emulating heathen customs of decoration and reveling?
21. After his wife died, Vaughan married his:
he never remarried
22. Andrew Marvell wrote an Horation Ode upon this man's return from Ireland.
Bonnie Prince Charles
23. Richard Crashaw wrote a poem called "Non Vi" that contained a picture of a heart. What is this picture called?
A Coat of Arms
24. Richard Crashaw wrote a poem about what other metaphysical poet's book?
25. What does Vaughan refer to as a "Sweet, sacred hill"?
The Mount of Olives