. Psychoanalysis was developed to treat which mental disorder?
2. Which of the following statements is true of Freud’s seduction theory?
- It proposed that women developed hysteria as a result of seducing older men
- It proposed that hysterics only imagined or fantasized about early sexual experiences
- It proposed that hysterics suffer from memories
- Freud abandoned it because it placed too much emphasis on childhood sexuality
3. In Freud’s topographic model, the ‘çensor’ guards the border between …
- the Conscious and the Preconscious
- the Conscious and the Unconscious
- the Preconscious and the Unconscious
- the Ego and the Id
4. According to Freud, the odd, magical quality of dreams reflects the influence of …
- primary process thinking
- secondary process thinking
- the ‘dreamwork’
- defence mechanisms
5. Which of the following statements is true of the Ego, according to Freud?
- It exists prior to the Id
- It follows the ‘pleasure principle’
- It lends its libidinal energy to the Superego
- None of the above
d. None of the above
6. Which Freudian defence mechanism does this statement illustrate: ‘I’m not jealous, you are’?
7. Which of the following statements is false according to Freud’s genetic model?
- The oral stage roughly corresponds to infancy
- The anal stage is dominated by themes of control and shame
- The phallic stage ends with girls internalizing a harsher super-ego than boys
- The latency stage lasts from the end of the Oedipus complex until puberty
8. According to psychoanalytic theory, what is the ‘anal triad’?
- Obstinacy, orderliness, and parsimony
- Neatness, cleanliness, and perfectionism
- Compulsiveness, drive, and conscientiousness
- Stubbornness, attention to detail, and poor hygiene
9. One of these four lists contains concepts from Freud’s topographic, structural and genetic models, in that order. Which is it?
- Unconscious, ego, and repression
- Unconscious, id, and reaction formation
- Preconscious, superego, and regression
- Preconscious, superfly, and fixation
10. Neo-Freudians such as Erich Fromm and Karen Horney argued that …
- unconscious processes are unimportant
- Freud was wrong to emphasize intrapsychic conflict
- human motivations beyond sexuality and aggression must be recognized
- Freud was fundamentally correct on female sexual development
11. As a general rule, contemporary psychoanalytic theory …
- pays more attention to interpersonal relationships
- does not rely on the concepts of psychic energy and instincts
- is relatively open to the findings of empirical psychology
- all of the above
12. Critics of psychoanalytic inference argue that it is …
- too dependent on subjective interpretation
- too rigorous
- too focused on psychological validity
- too cautious
13. Which of the following is not a weakness of psychoanalytic evidence?
- Its subjectivity
- Its limited quantity
- Its vulnerability to suggestion
- Its lack of public availability
14. Psychoanalytic theory is NOT often criticized for which of the following?
- Being unfalsifiable
- Being unscientific
- Being deterministic
- Being simplistic
15. Which of the following psychological ideas and research topics can arguably be traced back to psychoanalytic theorizing?
- Attachment style
- Implicit attitudes
- The psychology of motivation
- All of the above