What was Eliot's first working title for "The Waste Land"?
He do the Police in Different Voices
The Land of the Dead
Voices in the Desert
2. Who helped Eliot edit the poem, and, in the process, suggested the deletion of large portions of the poem?
3. Where was the original (first intended) epigraph that Eliot had chosen for the poem from?
Baudelaire's "Fleurs du Mal"
Conrad's "Heart of Darkness"
Milton's "Paradise Lost"
4. The line, "The ivory men make company between us", which was deleted from the final version of the poem from the second section "A Game of Chess", was taken out at whose suggestion?
5. There are many quotations in different languages throughout the poem. Which of these languages is NOT present in the poem?
6. Which of these cities is NOT mentioned in the poem?
7. Before it was deleted, the line "Get me a woman, I said; you're too drunk, she said" was part of which section of the poem?
A Game of Chess
What the Thunder Said
The Fire Sermon
Burial of the Dead
8. Eliot stated that his references to certain vegetation ceremonies were influences that came from which book?
From Ritual to Romance
The Golden Bough
9. True or false: Eliot stated that "The Waste Land" was "an important bit of social criticism."
10. Which of these works did Eliot NOT make a reference to in "The Waste Land"?
Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure"
Goldsmith's "The Vicar of Wakefield"
Kyd's "Spanish Tragedy"